2047: GLUCOSE, GESTATIONAL SCREEN
- GESTATIONAL GLUCOSE SCREEN, Glucose, Gestational, 1 Hr
- Grey Top Tube Preferred, (Serum Separator Tube acceptable but not preferred due to stability)
Turn Around Time
- Grey Top Tube -Indicate 1 Hr
- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) Screening (1 hour Post Prandial, Post Load or Glucose Challenge Test ): 1. Performed between 24 and 28 weeks of gestation on all pregnant women not identified as having glucose intolerance. 2. A 50 gm oral glucose load without regard to time of day or time of last meal is given. 3. Plasma glucose at 1 hour is measured. 4. If the glucose is >= 140 mg/dL, a glucose tolerance test should be performed.
- Serum (no hemolysis): 8 hours at 15-25 °C, 72 hours at 2-8 °C, Fluoride plasma: 3 days at 15-25 °C
||Unit of Measure
|| The 140 mg/dL abnormal threshold for Glucose screening identifies
80% of women with gestational diabetes. A lower cutoff of 130 mg/dL
will identify 90% of women with gestational diabetes.
ACOG recommends follow-up of an abnormal gestational glucose screen with a Gestational 3-hour Glucose Challenge Test after oral administration of a 100 gram glucose dose.
||65 - 139