3151: GENTAMICIN RANDOM, SERUM
- Gentamicin; Garamycin (R); Gentak®
- Plain Red Top Tube, Green Top Tube, Transfer Tube- Serum, Transfer Tube- Plasma
- 1 mL serum from a red top or heparin plasma. SST serum not acceptable.
- Red-stopper tube or green-stopper (heparin) tube. Do not use serum-separator tube, the use of serum-separator tubes is not recommended due to slow absorption of the drug by the gel. Depending on the specimen volume and storage time, the decrease in drug level due to absorption may be clinically significant. Both peak and trough concentrations should be monitored. The trough sample is drawn immediately prior to the next dose. Peak samples should be drawn 45-60 minutes after an I.M. injection, 30 minutes after the end of a 30-minute I.V. infusion or immediately after a 60-minute I.V. infusion. Transfer separated serum or plasma to a plastic transfer tube.
- AMBIENT: 14 days REFRIGERATED: 14 days FROZEN: 14 days