6087: FECAL FAT, QUANTITATIVE
- LIPIDS, TOTAL, QUANT, FECAL ; Fat, Quantitative; Fecal Lipids; Quantitative Fecal Fat;
Stool Fat, Quantitative; Total Fat, Quantitative
- Special Collection Kit for a 72 hour collection One or more clean stool collection kits containing a 1-gallon can, absorbent sheet, ArmLock O-ring, and a leak-proof plastic bag
Call the Lab for Supplies
- Entire collection or 5-25 mL of a homogenized aliquot in one or more clean stool collection kits.
- Collect stool directly into can. DO NOT FILL ANY CAN MORE THAN 2/3 FULL. Secure lid with pressure and firmly attach the O-ring. State collection time on the can label. Place the can and the absorbent sheet into the leak-proof plastic bag and seal. Send the entire can, or IF SUBMITTING ALIQUOT, follow this procedure: 1) Weigh specimen and collection container and subtract the weight of an empty container of the same type (one-gallon can weight with lid: 360 g metal or 320 g plastic container). This is the net weight to be recorded on the request form. 2) Open the container and observe if the contents are liquid. IF LIQUID STOOL, secure the lid, mix, and submit an aliquot of the total collection. IF SOLID STOOL, add deionized water (approximately 500 mL) to the specimen container and mix thoroughly to create a homogenous specimen. Submit a 5-25 mL aliquot of the total collection in an empty stool transport vial or screw-cap urine bottle, sterile no additives. 3) Record on both the container and the test request form the amount of water added to liquefy the stool or if no water was required. BOTH the container and the test request form MUST STATE COLLECTION TIME (in hours). Collections of 24 or 48 hours are not recommended since results are subject to greater variability. Also, please indicate the patient's age on the test request form
- AMBIENT: 5 days REFRIGERATED: 14 days FROZEN: 14 days