6874: INFLUENZA A, H1N1, RT PCR
- Influenza A H1N1 RT PCR, Influenza A, H1N1 (Novel), Real-time RT-PCR
- Swab In Transport Medium Or Vial
- Viral Transport Medium, M-4
- Nasopharyngeal swab, nasal swab, throat swab, or combined throat/nasopharyngeal swab - One swab (in viral transport container)
This test is best used on specimens already shown to be positive for influenza A virus by another valid test method.
- Specimen should be collected during acute phase of the disease, ideally within 24 hours of onset of symptoms. Guide the flexible (ideally a flocked rather than wound) swab into the contour of the nares and into the nasopharynx. Leave in place 15 to 30 seconds, rotate and remove. Place swab in viral transport. THROAT SWAB: Carefully rub the posterior nasopharynx with a dry sterile swab (preferably the flocked swab). Avoid touching the tongue or buccal mucosa. Place swab in viral transport.